Information from local newspaper articles...
The company is a re-organization of Great Lakes Engineering Co. The capital stock is $1,500,000. Antonio C. Pessano is president and general manager; George H. Russel, vice president; and John R. Russel, secretary and treasurer.
Great Lakes Engineering Works (GLEW) was established in 1903 on the Detroit River, in Ecorse Township - Village of River Rouge. In 1905 the company took over Columbia Iron Works, located in St. Clair, Michigan, which at the time had only built two ships. The yard in Ashtabula, Ohio was started in 1912. The Ecorse yard was later renamed the River Rouge yard as a result of the reincorporation of the company. GLEW officially closed it doors in 1960.
The shipbuilding plant of Great Lakes Engineering Co. will be the largest on the lakes . The plant occupies a tract of land that is approximately 85 acres of riverfront, below Smith's coal dock, the old Hall brickyard property being the nucleus around which the balance has been purchased in smaller parcels. The ground has frontage of 1,400 feet on the Detroit River. The Michigan Central and Detroit Southern roads will both have trackage into the yards. There will be four shipbuilding berths, 600 feet in length so that the yard will be equipped to build four of the largest vessels to ever sail the Great Lakes.Between these berths are to be two slips for side launching ships; one of them 600 feet long by 125 feet wide and 14 feet deep, the other will be 600 feet long by 150 feet wide and 30 feet deep.
CLICK HERE to visit the Keith Steffke Pages about ships and the GLEW Rouge Yard
CLICK HERE to read an article about GLEW in the Nautical Gazzette - 1908
CLICK HERE to read the "Telescope" history of GLEW
CLICK HERE to see a list of vessels built at GLEW
CLICK HERE to see misc history and pages of GLEW